Google

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Shoppers Stop mystery

Is it Shoppers Stop or Shopper's Stop or Shoppers' Stop. Looks like even they can't decide. If I owned the retails chain, I would have fired my entire marketing/branding team for this fiasco. Let me show you what I mean.

This is their original logo. It clearly reads Shoppers' Stop.






Now for the new logo. The apostrophe disappears. The company is now called Shoppers Stop.





But it doesn't stop there. Their website is titled Welcome to Shopper's Stop. Ditto in the 'Ab








I am generally not a grammar stickler, but this is quite surprising as SS is a very reputed retail chains of India. Let's hope that they rectify the situation as soon as they can. Till then dumb Shoppers like me will wonder whether the company wants us to Stop and not come to their store.

For people interested in similar grammatical goof-ups, do read Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss.

1 comment:

Sujeet said...

The first and third are only different in number. The second one is the tragic faux-pas on their part.